Emergency tax codes

Emergency tax codes

If you’re on an emergency tax code your payslip will show:

1185 W1, or 1185 M1, or 1185 X

These mean you’ll pay tax on all your income above the basic Personal Allowance.

You may be put on an emergency tax code if you’ve started:

  • a new job
  • working for an employer after being self-employed
  • getting company benefits or the State Pension

Emergency tax codes are temporary. Your employer can help you update your tax code.

(This information was supplied by the H.M.R.C. website and is assumed to be correct on the date of publication, however you should always check with H.M.R.C. directly)

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.