How to get your UTR number

HMRC generally will issue a UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) number to you when you :

  • You register as a self-employed sole trader.
  • You form / incorporate a new limited company.
  • You registered as a partnership.
  • You registered for the subcontractor CIS scheme.
  • You have a trust or other income, subject to tax.

Your UTR is a ten digit number and is unique to you, it helps HMRC identify you across all its services.

You will need your UTR to file your tax return, if you have not already received your UTR we recommend you apply as soon as possible.  HMRC will most likely post your UTR for security, and it may take many days before you receive it.  You could be responsible for late filing fees while you wait for your UTR, so make sure you have this number as soon as possible.

If you have joined the CIS scheme, it is vital you apply for your UTR immediately to avoid paying the higher rate tax of 30%.

If you are concerned about your UTR, please contact us for help today.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.