CIS Contractor and trades-person

We save our clients on average over £2,400 on their CIS Tax Return

Whether you are a Surveyor from Swansea, a Carpenter from Carlisle, Plumber from Plymouth, Handyman from Halesworth, a Painter in Parwich or an Architect from Aughnacloy – Easy Accounting Services can help YOU

Thousands go unclaimed every year, we can even check back over your previous years, making sure you have claimed everything you are entitled to!  

CIS Refunds

Looking for a CIS tax return accountant? Are you a contractor registered under the CIS (Construction Industry Scheme), and have tax deducted from payments made to you? These are passed onto HMRC and count as advance payments for subcontractor tax and NI.

CIS tax return deductions are made from your gross payments and do not take into account any expenses like tools, equipment, protective clothing, travel, insurance, and any other work related expenses, you may be able to reclaim.  The majority of CIS workers we speak to are overpaying tax without realising it, and can amount to £1000’s per year.

FREE and without any obligation , complete the simple form below, and we will let you know if you are likely to have overpaid. 

    Are you already registered for CIS?YesNo

    Type of employment? Self-employedPAYE

    Do you have work related expenses to claim? YesNoNot sure

    How do you travel to work? Public transportCar/VanOther

    Jump straight to : Tax RebatesOnline £99 Self AssessmentTraditional Accountancy ServicesVATTop

    What HMRC have to say regarding CIS workers :

    Under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), contractors deduct money from a subcontractor’s payments and pass it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

    The deductions count as advance payments towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance.

    Contractors must register for the scheme. Subcontractors don’t have to register, but deductions are taken from their payments at a higher rate if they’re not registered.

    If you’re already registered as a contractor, you can sign in to CIS online to file your monthly returns or to verify a subcontractor.

    Who counts as a contractor or subcontractor

    Register as a contractor if either:

    • you pay subcontractors for construction work
    • your business doesn’t do construction work but you spend an average of more than £1 million a year on construction in any 3-year period

    Register as a subcontractor if you do construction work for a contractor.

    You must register as both if you fall under both categories.

    Work covered by CIS

    CIS covers most construction work to:

    • a permanent or temporary building or structure
    • civil engineering work like roads and bridges

    For the purpose of CIS, construction work includes:

    • preparing the site, eg laying foundations and providing access works
    • demolition and dismantling
    • building work
    • alterations, repairs and decorating
    • installing systems for heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation
    • cleaning the inside of buildings after construction work


    You don’t have to register if you only do certain jobs, including:

    • architecture and surveying
    • scaffolding hire (with no labour)
    • carpet fitting
    • making materials used in construction including plant and machinery
    • delivering materials
    • work on construction sites that’s clearly not construction, eg running a canteen or site facilities

    The CIS guide for contractors and subcontractors has more detail on what is and isn’t covered by the scheme.

    Your business is based outside the UK

    The same CIS rules apply if your business is based outside the UK, but you do construction work as a contractor or subcontractor in the UK.

    By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

    The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.